Our congregation came into being in 1958. Services were begun in September of that year and on January 25, 1959, the new congregation was formally organized with sixty charter members and their children. The Rev. L. Warren Strickler II was called as the first pastor.
Good Shepherd began as a campus ministry and we continue to have that ministry as a key emphasis of our operation.
In the first few years the congregation worshiped in facilities provided by Washington & Lee University. With the assistance of the Board of Missions, a new building was completed on September 22, 1963.
Good Shepherd is a small but vigorous congregation. It serves through the riches of Lutheran worship, through education in the meaning of life in Christ, and through the openness of welcome to all who seek Him.